Belize Travel Notice – Health & Safety
Edit Content

When Is the Best Time for Birding in Belize?

When Is the Best Time for Birding in Belize

In addition to being home to Belize Barrier Reef, the world’s second-largest coral reef, Belize is also home to over 600 avian species. 80% of these birds are local to Belize, while the remaining 20% are migratory birds that usually fly down to the country from North America during the winter. As a result, the best time for birding in Belize is during the dry months, from December to April. 

The reason Belize is home to so many colorful and exotic birds is due to a variety of great habitats you’ll find in the Caribbean country, including wetlands, atolls, tropical jungles, and savannahs. Belize’s warm tropical climate supports hundreds of wild and exotic birds, including yellow-headed Amazon parrots, eagles, egrets, scarlet macaws, vultures, white-crowned pigeons, black catbirds, toucanets, toucans, tanagers, and many others. 

Birding in Belize

The Keel-Billed Toucan, in particular, is a special bird to Belizeans, which is why it has earned the title of Belize’s national bird. This bird is renowned for its golden chest feathers and colorful beak. Such aspects make it easy to spot the Keel-Billed Toucan during any time of the year. 

What Makes Belize Ideal for Birding?

Belize is one of the least populated countries in Central America, so you can spot birds almost everywhere you go. This means that you don’t need to bring sophisticated gear to Belize for birding. All you’ll need is binoculars, and this is only because the optical instrument makes it easier to identify and appreciate these colorful birds. 

Birding in Belize

The Best Birding Sites and Tours in Belize

San Ignacio Hotel

Sitting on a 17-acre private estate, San Ignacio Resort Hotel is undoubtedly one of the best destinations for on-site birdwatching enthusiasts. The place has experienced birding guides who will take you on tour through the jungle so that you can enjoy the sight and sound of a variety of colorful exotic birds, including Aracari Toucan, Blue Tanager, warblers, woodpeckers, Keel-Billed Toucan, Blue-Crowned Motmot, and more than a hundred other rare bird species. 

Belize Birding

Crested Caracara Private Reserve

Named for being the only known nesting ground for the Crested Caracara, this reserve sits on a 200-acre plot of land with 11 miles worth of trails. The Crested Caracara Private Reserve holds tours where birdwatchers can take a stroll through the dense forests and open grassland to watch the Crested Caracara and many other colorful birds. 

Aguacate Lagoon

This reserve sits on a 284-acre plot of land and is undoubtedly one of the best destinations for birdwatchers visiting Belize. At the Aguacate Lagoon, you’ll see all kinds of birds, including the Great Kiskadee, Scissor-Tailed Fly Catcher, and the Olive-Throated Parakeet. During your visit, you may also be lucky to sight several Howler Monkeys that call the Aguacate Lagoon home. 

Are you planning a birding vacation in Belize? Consider booking your stay at The San Ignacio Resort Hotel, and let us help you make this a memorable vacation.

Spread the love