The San Ignacio Resort Hotel is located in San Ignacio town, in the Cayo district of Belize, Central America. We are just five minutes walking distance from the center of town and up a steep hill that overlooks the beautiful San Ignacio landscape.
San Ignacio is a small town in Western Belize located on the banks of the Mopan and Macal Rivers. The town is located only 72 miles west of Belize City and the country’s major air hub, Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport which is about one and a half hour drive. The Airport operates daily flights to the US and other countries.
There are two official crossing points on the Mexico – Belize border. The more frequently used is at Santa Elena, 9 miles from Corozal Town in Belize and 7 miles from Chetumal in Mexico. The all-paved Northern Highway runs from the border to Belize City. The other crossing is at Blue Creek, 34 miles southwest of Orange Walk Town. The only land crossing between Belize and Guatemala is a mile west of the Belizean town of Benque Viejo del Carmen at the end of the all-paved Western Highway.
Entering Belize is a simple, straightforward process. You must present a passport that will be valid until you leave the country. It’s advisable to have at least six months of validity remaining. Officially, visitors are also required to be in possession of an onward or return ticket from Belize and funds worth BZ$120 a day for their stay in the country, but it’s rare for tourists to be required to show this. Tourists are generally given a 30-day stay which is extendable at a local Immigration Office.
Flights are now available from Belize International Airport to San Ignacio via Tropic Air. CLICK HERE for Tropic Air Flights Information
RENTING A VEHICLE
Belize may be small, but it is spread out in a way that you will need a car to get around. There are Belize car rental agencies at the airport, as well as other locations throughout Belize. Your international or U. S. driver’s license will work in Belize, though you will have to purchase insurance, available at the Belize rental car agencies. In Belize, you will be driving on the right side of the road.
Driving Directions from Belize City Airport:
- Follow signs out of airport down airport road
- At end of airport road at the first junction turn left onto northern highway
- Turn left onto Burrell Boom Cut (it will be the next major intersection a few miles up)
- Follow this road until you reach a roundabout
- At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Western Hwy
- Continue straight to stay on Western Hwy about 52 miles
- You are now in Santa Elena Town about 10 minutes from the hotel
- Turn right at the Social Security Building & A&R Store
- Make second left and first right to go over the wooden bridge
- You are now in San Ignacio Town
- At fork in road stay left the market will be on your left hand side
- Continue to stop sign (you will see Courts Store in front of you)
- Make left at stop sign
- Make first left
- Immediately make 2nd right before roundabout up a hill (if your heading to the bridge you went to far)
- We are located on the left hand side at the top of the hill
Driving Directions from Guatemala/ Western Border:
- Follow road from the Western border which is Western Highway for approximately ¾ of a mile
- When you reach the end of the road, make a right at the river and continue onto Western Highway
- Follow this road approximately 7.25 miles
- You will arrive at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel on your right hand side