What would Christmas be without homemade and deliciously baked bread? Perhaps not too merry for some! With that said, the San Ignacio restaurant, Running W Steakhouse & Restaurant, would like to share an excellent Holiday Sweet Braided Bread recipe for all your Christmas celebrations.
Yield: One 18 inch long braided bread
Serves: 8-10 people
- 8 ounces water
- 1 – 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 – 1/4 pounds bebe agua flour (all purpose flour will work as well)
- 3 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ounces vegetable oil
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch all-spice
- Place all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Place all wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl and mix them until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- If you have an electric mixer, use the hook attachment and mix for 15 minutes. If you mix by hand then work the dough on a table top for 20 minutes. If dough sticks to your table after working the dough for at least 5 minutes, then add a bit of extra flour.
- Place the dough in a metal or glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in room temperature for one hour. The dough will rise and should double in size.
- Remove dough from bowl and divide into 3 sections of equal weight.
- Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 20 inches long.
- Braid the ropes to form a braid.
- Place braided dough on a metal sheet tray that is dusted with corn flour.
- Cover the braided dough with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise for one hour.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the bread is cooked. This should take about 25 to 30 minutes.
Happy Holidays! Looking for more Holiday inspired recipes? Check out last year’s delicious Rumpopo recipe!