If you visited our Jewel already these goodies will look very familiar. Johnny Cakes are to Belizeans what baguettes are for the French and pancakes for the Americans. We are giving you this delicious Johnny Cake recipe so you can have a little taste of Belize any where you are!
Yields: 20 buns
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter at room temperature, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut cream
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the butter, and mix with your fingertips to obtain a homogeneous sandy consistency.
- Stir in coconut milk and knead quickly until forming a smooth ball that easily detaches from the container.
- Divide the dough into balls the size of a golf ball. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let stand for 10 minutes. Then slightly flatten the balls.
- Prick in several places with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes by placing the baking sheet towards the lower part of the oven. Then, place baking sheet near the top and bake for another 5 minutes. Times vary greatly from one oven to another, so pay close attention to the color of the Johnny cakes, which should look lightly brown on the top surface.
- Enjoy Johnny cakes hot or warm, open and filled with beans, bacon, eggs, cheese, or anything your tummy desires.