The sweet potato pone is a favorite for many Belizeans and travelers because of its incredible taste, texture, and mouth-watering scent. Need we say more? Let’s get to cooking instead!
- 1 Large sweet potato cut into chunks
- 1 Cup of brown sugar
- 1 Cup of butter
- 1/3 Cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a casserole dish with butter or oil
- Place the sweet potato chunks into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Add the brown sugar, butter, condensed milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt to the mashed potato; beat with a wire whisk until fluffy. Crack the eggs into the bowl and continue whisking until the mixture is light in color; pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, for about an hour and a half.
Ta-da! You’re done, bon appétit!